Girls Just Want to Have Likes
Does your daughter pay more attention to Instagram than she does to you? Do you wish you could stop social media from taking over your home? You’re not alone. Girls today are in the midst of a crisis of confidence and communication, and the screens they bury their faces in 24/7 are a big part of the problem.
Instead of getting input and insight from you, your daughter is learning life lessons from mentors like the Kardashians and Instagram “stars” whose heavily edited photos and glamorized posts leave your daughter feeling badly about herself and second-guessing her life.
Physical and psychological changes in adolescent girls’ brains—mixed with the impact of social media—leave girls feeling lackluster about themselves and uncomfortable communicating in real life. Parents feel powerless and paralyzed by the fear that their daughters will suffer from low self-esteem and lack leadership and communication skills necessary to thrive in the real world.
Where the books American Girls: Social Media and the Secret Lives of Teenagers and Queen Bees and Wannabees shined a powerful light on girl culture, Girls Just Want to Have Likes takes things one step further and offers an antidote for parents to stop the Social Media Madness.
Girls Just Want to Have Likes gives you the tools to:
- Create a Family Media Usage Agreement everyone can agree to.
- Better understand the social media landscape.
- Bring the fun back into your family life.
- Put the values and beliefs that your family stands for into action.
- Build your daughter’s leadership skills at home.
- Heal your own childhood wounds so you can be a better role model.
- Teach your daughter how to communicate “in real life.”
- Embrace mistakes and use a growth mindset.
- Incorporate positive intentions into your daily life.
Laurie Wolk has integrated more than two decades of professional experience as an educator, mentor, coach, trainer, marketer, therapist— and parent—to provide a comprehensive resource that will help you balance the influence social media has on your family, and create the harmony you deserve.